Wednesday, June 11, 2014



Better late than never. The first week and a half here has been crazy! San Francisco was only the beginning. Once we arrived in Ulaanbaatar we were fortunate enough to stay at ger camp for a couple of days to get our sea legs. Here we got our shots, i.e. rabies because of rabid dogs….kind of terrifying, standard administration, and of course the immigration office! It as been a whirlwind! I was able to hike my first mountain, which they consider a hill, and it was beautiful. The altitude took me by surprise when I was ¼ of the way up and exhausted… After a farewell traditional Mongolian food picnic with the staff we were off to Darkhan for the real orientation.
            I was fortunate enough to room with a gal who I’ve enjoyed spending time with and we took in the Darkhan hotel in all its glory, cigarette in toilet and all. But it was nicer than anything I would have imagined in Mongolia. The food like most of our meals so far consisted of hotdogs and eggs. All of us were just waiting to try some traditional Mongolian food, but the stuff everyone eats, even in the countryside.
            The first day of orientation was a blur. We were honored by a presentation of Mongolians finest entertainment with dancing, instrumental music, and even contortionism. The three days of orientation flew by with safety and security meetings, cultural diversity sessions, and so many things y’all wouldn’t even understand (it’s a peace corps thing :P). We even had time to hike, or more like walk a few blocks, to the Buddha at the entrance to Darkhan. But the week ended on a high with the cultural fair where I tried my first smoked sheep skull! (picture included for all you squeamish folk) Next post to come soon! Most likely tomorrow or this weekend about my adventures of last weekend with my host family!
           











No comments:

Post a Comment